The Summer Internship Programme (“SIP”) is one of the initiatives of the Pilot Programme. It aims to raise the awareness of undergraduate students to the wide spectrum of career opportunities in the front, middle and back offices of the asset and wealth management (WAM) sector, and allow them to gain early exposure to these different functional roles. Interested students may consider joining the WAM sector after graduation.
The SIP will take place in the summer of 2017, 2018 and 2019. Under the SIP, a university student will be offered an internship position by employers in the WAM sector for a period lasting between 4 and 8 weeks in the front, middle and / or back offices involving WAM-related work. This would allow the students to gain a better understanding of the job nature and career prospects of the WAM sector through hands-on working experience.
The SIP is open to students who are:
- permanent residents* of the HKSAR;
- lawfully employable in Hong Kong; and
- non-final year full-time undergraduate students of the eight University Grants Committee (“UGC”)-funded universities listed below :
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Lingnan University
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Education University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- The University of Hong Kong
* A permanent resident of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region is a person possessing a valid Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card, which bears the words “the holder of the card has the right of abode in Hong Kong” at the back, as shown here.
(include trustee services)
For the avoidance of doubt, students who reneged on their acceptance of offers will be deemed to have participated in that year’s SIP.
Each student intern taking up an internship under the SIP will enter into an employment relationship with a participating employer in the WAM sector and shall be paid an honorarium by the participating employer. The student intern shall commit to completing the entire internship period and submitting evaluation on the internship experience and the overall SIP.
Student interns will be invited to attend a “Readiness Briefing Session” prior to commencement of internship. There will also be a mentorship programme, through which student interns can benefit from industry practitioners’ experience and knowledge and maintain contact after completion of their internship.