Guide to Conference Subsidy Application
Application for the conference subsidy is limited to
- an organiser who is a non-profit making institution and is an recognised professional body / higher education institution / eligible training provider in Hong Kong,
- the conference which is held physically in Hong Kong (any conferences targeting clients, and internal staff or virtual conferences will not be accepted),
- the conference with content that is at least 50% related to asset and wealth management,
- the conference is not wholly or partly subsidised by any public funding sources or does not form part of a Government-funded programme.
Each organiser may ONLY submit one proposal each fiscal year which ends on 31 March.
There will be two intakes every fiscal year until the end of the Pilot Programme in the fiscal year of 2022/23.
Please find the application timeline as follows:
|Period of Conference||Intake|
1 July to
1 April to 31 May by the end of office hour at 17:30 HKT
(the initial intake will commence from 1 August 2020 for the period from 1 September to 31 December 2020 on an exceptional basis as resulted from the COVID-19 outbreaks)
1 January to
|1 September to 31 October by the end of office hour at 17:30 HKT|
(Note: The cut-off day will be the prior workday if the deadline falls onto a bank holiday.)
Any late application will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis with special approval from the Financial Services and the Treasury Bureau (“FSTB”) of the Government on the condition that applications submitted shall NOT be less than 8 weeks prior to the conference date.
The implementation agent aims to confirm application status in approximately 4 weeks upon receipt of all necessary documents.
Conference subsidy scale
The subsidy will be granted in relation to the scale of the conference.
|Expected attendees||Subsidy amount||Tolerance level|
|<= 100||HK$150,000||Actual > 80% of expected attendees|
|> 100||HK$250,000||Actual > 80% of expected attendees with a minimum of 101|
Application procedures and requirements
No application fees will be charged for the application.
Applications will be processed on a first-come-first-served basis, until the funding for the Scheme has been fully committed on a year-on-year budget.
Applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please follow the procedures listed below:
- The applicant is required to provide details for vetting including but not limited to the items listed as follows:
a) Duly completed application form,
b) Conference agenda or programme,
c) Curriculum vitae or profile of speaker(s),
d) Promotional materials (if any).
- The application form can be downloaded here.
- The application form should be returned, when completed, to the implementation agent either:
a) by email at:
b) by post / in person to:
WAM Pilot Programme Implementation Team
Hong Kong Securities and Investment Institute
Room 510, 5/F, Wing On Centre, 111 Connaught Road Central, Hong Kong
* Please note that the HKSI Institute will not accept applications with insufficient postage.
Mail items addressed to the Institute without sufficient postage may either be returned to the sender or disposed of by Hongkong Post.
The HKSI Institute does NOT bear any responsibility for any mail lost in transit.
- The applicant shall duly complete all sections of the application form, either in English or in Chinese. The applicant shall
- fill in all the required background information of the conference organiser and the conference in Section A & B;
- provide background information of the partnering institution in the same manner, if there is any;
- write up the details of the proposal in Section C covering the following areas:
- how the subsidy would help achieve the objectives of the conference and how the WAM conference subsidy will be used;
- the total expected gross revenue (including sponsorship) to be raised and the expected expenditures to be incurred;
- details of a control and monitoring mechanism on the usage of the subsidy and attendance as well as quantifiable evaluation to measure the quality and effectiveness of the conference;
- nominate an event owner, who is an authorised person of the applicant, to sign the declaration in the application form; and
- assign at least one coordinator as the focal point for administrative and operational matters. The coordinator(s) should be a staff of the applicant.
If an application has been previously rejected by the implementation agent and/or by the FSTB, the applicant shall NOT re-submit any application of the same proposal in any subsequent rounds of application unless significant and substantial changes have been made to that proposal.
The applicant may inform the implementation agent in writing withdrawal of application at any time before the event is held.
In the presence of any disputes, the parties agree to be bound to the exclusive jurisdication of Hong Kong courts.
For the successful application(s), the conference organiser is required to
- put the WAM logo up in a noticeable spot at the venue and include the WAM logo in all printed materials for promotion;
- provide a writeup to the implementation agent for FSTB’s clearance if the WAM Pilot Programme and/or the FSTB are referenced in any of the promotional materials or press release;
- allow the implementation agent and the Government to perform inspection checks during the conference; and
- retain the relevant documentations, such as the registration and attendance record, returned evaluation form and financial records for potential audit / review conducted by the Government or the implementation agent.
- Upon receipt of the proposal, the implementation agent will conduct a preliminary screening and may seek clarifications or supplementary information from the applicant if needed. Failure to provide such information within the given timeframe will be deemed withdrawal of application.
- The implementation agent will proceed to review the proposal and validate the details if the preliminary screening in clause 1 above is considered satisfactory. An interview may be conducted in the form of a phone conversation or a physical meeting where necessary.
- The implementation agent may invite experts, professionals, experienced practitioners and/or academics to give advice in respect of an application where appropriate.
- The FSTB will grant the final approval on the recommendation of the implementation agent.
- The implementation agent will inform the applicant of the decision of the FSTB within 10 working days in writing via email or post:
- For an approved application, a Letter of Acceptance will be distributed to the applicant together with the terms and conditions that may be imposed by the Government or the implementation agent, in addition to those specified in the application form and the guidance notes where appropriate;
- For a rejected application, the applicant will also be informed of the result. In case of doubt and controversy, the Government’s decision shall be final.
- The following assessment criteria will be used to assess and make recommendations to the FSTB on whether a proposal fulfils the objectives of the Scheme:
- relevance of the conference in relation to the WAM sector;
- measurable achievements, such as improvements in quality of credential speakers or wider engagement of in-service practitioners in the WAM sector;
- effectiveness of funding usage;
- proper control and monitoring; and
- qualification of the conference organiser.
Payment of conference subsidy
The payment will be made payable to the conference organiser in the form of a paper cheque.
The cheque will be sent via local postal service or by courier to the address of the specified event owner as per Annex 1 – Contact Details and made to the attention of the specified event owner.
The payment will be processed after the completion of the conference with the requisite of a satisfactory assessment. The assessment will be conducted by the implementation agent based on the result of the inspection check during the conference, overall evaluation from the participants and a document check, if necessary.
A cheque will be issued no later than four weeks upon a satisfactory conclusion being drawn by the implementation team.
A partial payment may be paid to the conference organiser ultimately if the conference does NOT meet the objectives or certain requirements based on the assessment result.
The FSTB reserves the right to make the final approval of the release of the conference subsidy.